Thursday, January 29, 2009

Back to running

So I've got back to running in the past couple of weeks. Out of advice from my doctor I took a rest for a while because an x-ray showed a crack in my knee cap. It was a good news/bad news type of statement. The good news, "Surgery isn't necessary and after some rest it shouldn't effect your running and biking." The bad news, "Your knee will always hurt."

I have some great goals over the next couple of years for my new found past time. I'm not ready/bold enough to make those public yet. Right now I'm just happy to be able to get out on the road (I plan to graduate to trails soon too). For me a nice long run allows me plenty of time to think, reflect and release. Two years ago when I ran my first (and only) marathon it was one of the proudest moments of my life. In a car 26.2 miles doesn't seem too far but on foot it can be like the oasis you see in the distance of the desert. If there is one thing I've learned in my short life span it's that nothing worth having comes easily. A completed marathon takes hard work, dedication, and as many people have told me, "A little bit of craziness." But the feeling of accomplishment afterward is unfathomable.

This year I plan to compete in my first full distance triathlon. I've never possessed a great ability to swim so I have to admit I'm slightly nervous about that part. I completed a couple sprint distance races last year but they only had a 1/4 of a mile swim. I basically panic swam through those, I'm not sure I can do that for a full mile. Luckily I have a wife who is a great swimmer and I'm relatively certain she will guide me through it. Any advice you may have will be welcomed also.

I'm not sure what it is harder, the training for these races or a 3 hour wrestling practice both can make you want to lay down a die. However, just as when I won the region championship my senior year in wrestling, finishing a long run within your goal time makes you feel like you can do anything. So as the song goes "I can't wait to get on the road again, going place I've never been."

1 comment:

Whit and Lindsay said...

You can do it Michael!! Discipline is all it takes to become a better swimmer.I knew a guy in college who was the worst swimmer I had ever seen. Seriously. I was the lifeguard when he came to swim and I actually had to stay awake. But he came three days a week at 6 a.m. And I'm not kidding you..one year later he was leading swim practices that I took part in to train for triathlons.
YOU CAN DO IT!